Things you must know about SPFx:
Using SPFX you can develop 100% JS based solutions. You can also develop more complex solutions e.g. combining different models with services available in Azure.
Host wherever you want:
- You can host it on your server
- You can host it on SharePoint
- You can host it anywhere on the Cloud
What is for old and for new?
SPFX is an extensible model for new SharePoint UX. Solutions developed using development models in the past cannot be used in modern sites (team site, communication sites) like farm solutions, add-ins, while on the other hand solutions developed using SPFX can be used both on classic and modern sites (team sites, communication)
Developer Experience in classic Development vs SPFX:
|Nuget||NPM||Package dependencies manager
|Visual studio||Visual studio code or Yeoman||A project templating generator and editor|
|MS Build||Gulp||Toolkit for automating tasks in the development like package, build and deploy|
The SPFx works for SharePoint online (Web parts, Extensions) and on-premises SharePoint 2016 Feature Pack 2 (Web parts only)
- SPFX web parts can be added to both modern and classic pages
- Toolchain is based on common open-source client development tools such as NPM, yeoman, webpack, and gulp
- The controls are rendered in normal page DOM
- It runs in the context of the current user and connection established in the browser
- There are no iframes for the customizations though JS is directly embedded to page
- Controls are responsive
- SPFx solutions can be used on personal sites, groups or self-services team
If you have any question or queries, do not hesitate to reach out to us!
2nd part: Set up SharePoint Framework (SPFx)